Gratitude is a hard one sometimes.

I've been thinking today about gratitude.   What am I grateful for, and how can this help me in my journey to becoming a princess, or can it?   Sometimes I wonder if things in our life that annoy us, or that cause us to change our path midstream aren't so much nuisances, but rather things we should be thankful for.

Example....when I was pregnant with Andy (my 2nd born) our insurance changed through Jason's work.   I thought this was going to be the end of me.   I had done my research.   I had the best pediatrician for Claire, and he was going to be Andy's.   I had found the best obstetrician when I was pregnant with Claire, and I was going to have him deliver Andy as well.   Neither of these fine doctors were on our plan.  I was forced to find a doctor that was on our much smaller, much more limited plan for physicians.   I was certain that I  was going to have to settle for second best.  

As it turns out, it was a little miracle in disguise.   Because of these changes, I had a wonderful birth experience at a smaller hospital, and received much more attention than I would have at the larger "birthing center" I had Claire at.   I also found an amazing pediatrician, like the old time kind that when you call....you talk to HIM!  (imagine that)  And as it turned out, this was the man that listened when jason and I knew something wasn't right with our son.   He is responsible for directing us to the people who eventually diagnosed and saved my son's quality of life.   Coincidence?   I think not.

I wrote a thank you note to that pediatrician today.   Sent it in the mail with pictures of my kids, thanking him for listening, for caring, and for ultimately saving my son's life.   That thank you was LONG overdue.   It felt good to write it, and it felt like I was able to let go of a little of the hurt I carry around about that time in our life.   Thanks Dr. Omari.   You rock.

So, I know that is a long story.   Sorry for that, but ultimately, I think that I need to be more grateful to those who have meant something to me, to the things I have in my life, to the universe in general, and maybe even for the uphill battles it feels like I've had to wage.  I spend a lot of time being annoyed by change and by the "bumps in the road."  (Can you say BOOT?)   Maybe I need to look beyond the annoyance and find a reason to have gratitude instead.   Anyway, today I'm just gonna give some thanks where it is deserved and see where it takes me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hi Dad....

I’m Headed to Church

What "After" Looks Like