A trip down the stairs...

Today a friend of mine posted a video of her little son going down the stairs with a caption of “this is why it takes forever to go down a flight of stairs these days.”   It was adorable.   He took a step.   He looked at her, and he applauded himself and squealed “YAY!” And he had a look of pure JOY each time.  Every. Stair.   It was awesome.

And it inspired me.  

Why do we have to praise ourselves only when we achieve super human feats? You know what I mean?   We all have end goals.   We all want to achieve great things, but what if along the journey we were all just happy because we did something small.   What if we were happy because we accomplished SOMETHING in our day.   I think we all need a few more pats on the back.

Yay me!   I made it through today without eating crap!   Yahoo!   I got up today and got going, even though I was feeling cruddy and wanted to lay around!   WOO HOO!   I parallel parked my car in the appropriate number of turns!   I’M AWESOME RIGHT NOW!  Why do I have to wait until I do something HUGE??

You know we do it for our children all the time.   We praise them for all the little things they do.    It builds them up.   It helps them develop self esteem and pride.   It’s good for them.


We all operate better with positive reinforcement.   So let’s work on giving ourselves a little more praise, and maybe we too will find the joy that little man found in going down the stairs…one step at a time.  



Comments

  1. This is FABULOUS! I am sharing. We need to do more of this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hi Dad....

What "After" Looks Like

I’m Headed to Church