Project Bendy is under way!

So today my friend Michelle called me and said..."they changed the weekend of the race!"    WHAT????  Seems like for whatever reason, they have changed the Princess Half dates to Feb. 25-27.   Okay....I know it's only one week, but that is one week less for training!    The new time countdown is....T Minus 268 days.
 
Change...it's something I don't do well.   I'm a planner, I like order.   Change makes me nervous.   I don't like it.   It can really be anything too...from a change in a weekend itinerary to where they put my vitamin water at Costco.....I don't like when things aren't where/when I planned on them being.  

I know it's silly, and really just shows inflexibility on my part, but it's part of who I am.   Maybe this can be a little summer side project for me.   To work on flexibility.    I want to become more pliable....more "bendy."

It's done me well in certain areas, I mean, my kids are EXCELLENT about going to bed on time without complaining, because I have kept them to a schedule.   I know what days of the week I am doing what or cleaning what because I keep myself to a schedule.    These things I think are okay.   I think where I need to become more "bendy" is not necessarily in schedule, but in my ability to handle those little things that pop up unexpected.    This race day schedule change is not worth worrying about.   It doesn't really even affect me.   I hadn't booked my trip, I hadn't even registered for the race....so what's the big deal.   It's just a change in date....shortens my time by a week, but honestly, if I am  not ready by then...I'm screwed anyway.   It's not going to take anything from me if I don't let it.

So, let's get this project "bendy" started.   I am vowing to all of you....that I am going to have one day a week this summer where NOTHING is planned, and the kids and I are going to play it off the cuff. (That is 10 unplanned days this summer by the way)   We'll see how it goes.   I'm trying to look at it as a constructive thing for myself.   Freedom...to do whatever we want on that day.   I'm going to work on taking what comes in stride, instead of seeing it, bracing myself, worrying, planning 15 different exit strategies, and freaking out anyway.   I'll keep you posted.  


 

Comments

  1. Sounds like an excellent plan! Congrats on recognizing the need to be flexible at times and also for your idea to help you become more bendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok..so are you planning the "bendy" day for like every Wednesday?.....I"m just saying.... :) I think you are too hard on yourself, you are very accomodating and helpful and that is something that can't be planned for. You have the uncanny knack for knowing when someone needs something... a talk, a laugh, a play date... You don't plan those things, they just happen.. I love you sister... Bendy girl!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hi Dad....

What "After" Looks Like

I’m Headed to Church