Today's thoughts are brought to you by Target.....or at least conversations there!


I saw a dear friend of mine at Target yesterday.   It was nice to chat, but we ended up commiserating about how we had "lost a little mojo" on the exercise front.   Me with my injury, and she with some life and home changes that had been going on.   It wasn't a bitch session, but rather....we both ended up saying we really enjoyed having the extra time we used to fill up with exercise.

This really got me thinking.  I really enjoy exercise, and I am really enjoying working towards a goal, but I'm wondering if I am doing it in a completely balanced way.   I mean...having a goal is great, it's exciting, and it's such a rush to complete....but I think perhaps I have been focusing too much on the end result, and not enough on the here and now.

I had noticed that the laundry was piling up, the house wasn't as clean as I liked, and I felt like I was neglecting some of the other aspects of my life.   Now that I've slowed down a little, I have regained the wheel so to speak, on keeping up with that side of my life as well.   I am still exercising and trying to keep up on the training as best as I can, but I am also keeping a watchful eye on the other parts of my life, like home, family, etc.  I've read 2 books...I'm giving myself some much needed quiet time, and I'm liking it!  Oh...and guess what....I've maintained my weight, I'm still exercising albeit in a modified manner, and I'm HAPPIER!

I think I stepped over the line a little.   I got a little obsessed with the goal, and completing it.    I was spending TOO MUCH time on that one thing, and let the balance of my life get out of whack.   I think exercise is like any other drug....too much obsessing about it is NOT a good thing.   I still intend to do the work,  and to go the distance, but not at the expense of everything else.   I can't build my life around a training routine, I have to fit a training routine into MY life.   And perhaps that means I slow down a little.   I have no intention of stopping, just readjusting a little.   When exercise becomes an obsession, it is just as unhealthy as overeating and being a sloth.  I know I have an obsessive tendency to my personality, with all things, healthy or otherwise, so I don't know why realizing this is such a surprise to me.   The key here...is finding balance.

All insights today are courtesy of Target....or at least the conversations I've had there recently!!  Thanks R.   Although you may not know it...that little talk we had yesterday helped me out a lot!  Honestly, I don't think we've lost our mojo, I think we've simply modified it,  found a little balance and regained a little sanity.  And trust me, we'll accomplish our goals, and find it more rewarding knowing that we did it along with being good at a LOT of other things as well.

Comments

  1. Again, so taken by how smart you are in approaching this! I've never been able to 100% follow a race training plan (too time consuming) but have finally figured out I just have to do it with my own balance. You are so far ahead of me on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I’m Headed to Church

Hi Dad....

What "After" Looks Like