Philosophy brought to you by......A FISH!

"Just keep swimming.   Just keep swimming.   Just keep swimming swimming swimming.  What do we do we swim...swim....."  -Dorie from Finding Nemo

This saying is really important to me.   When Andy was having his spinal cord surgery and when he was hospitalized a lot, all he wanted to watch was Nemo.   Over and over again we watched this movie.   In fact, when he is sick to this day...he will ask for it.  He found comfort in it.   And I guess in my own way....so did I.  

When things were hard with him....there was Dorie.   "Just keep swimming......"  When I wanted to give up.... there was Dorie.   It's a pretty profound life lesson if you really stop and think about it.   The only thing we can do is keep moving....Keep plugging through.    Just keep swimming.

That's not to say that we don't have days that are stagnant.   Today was that day for me.   Lots of doubt crept in.   Lots of negativity, and lots of feelings from my past.   I have a name for the voice in my head and he paid me some pretty lengthy visits today to try to keep me down.   At times it seems like feelings are unbearable or that one little snag has ruined everything.    Today felt a little negative, a little like the "old" me, and a little blue.   But tonight....Dorie popped into my head.   Just keep swimming.

Being on the road I have been on hasn't always been positive moments with hopes of tiaras.   There have been lots (in fact..lots and LOTS) of moments where I felt like giving up, like quitting, like I couldn't do this.   Today was one of those days, and today it seemed important to write about it.   To put out there that I am feeling discouraged, blue, and uncertain about this whole journey.   Not to the race mind you.....but in general.   Today wasn't a red letter day.   It was FAR from a perfect day.   It wasn't a particularly good day.   And as I was sitting here tonight watching a little tv, I found myself starting to worry about tomorrow.   

That's when Dorie popped into my head.  " Just keep swimming.....just keep swimming....."   I think sometimes we have a misconception that changing aspects of our life will permanently erase the obstacles and the voices in our head that try to stop us.   I am seeing the flawed nature of this thinking.   These feelings don't go away permanently......they just aren't allowed to stop us anymore.   They will show up.....try to work their evil magic, and sometimes they will succeed, but as long as we listen to Dorie...they will not be able to take over our minds/bodies/lives anymore. 

So...I am going to end my day today....with today.    I am not letting tomorrow get involved.   Tomorrow is a new day where I will continue to paddle my way along.   It may not be great, but as long as I keep moving...I'm doing okay.   Today sucked a little.   Just keep swimming....   Tomorrow will bring whatever it has in store no matter what I say about it.   Just keep swimming.....  

Just keep swimming.....  Just keep swimming.......




 

 

Comments

  1. "I think sometimes we have a misconception that changing aspects of our life will permanently erase the obstacles and the voices in our head that try to stop us. I am seeing the flawed nature of this thinking. These feelings don't go away permanently......they just aren't allowed to stop us anymore. " Brilliant. Thank you. <3 You really need to submit these to some magazines woman.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hi Dad....

What "After" Looks Like

I’m Headed to Church